Sunday 14 April 2013


Hello everyone and welcome to my little bit of the Blogiverse.  I'm really happy that you've chosen to visit me.  Without further ado, here's today's offering-
I bought some Kroma Crackle medium a while ago and have been trying to get around to using it for some time...and finally did.  I painted this MDF heart (which came in the kit - from Create and Craft - with the Kroma) in pale green, added a splash of pink paint to the Kroma, and dolloped (technical term) the stuff all over the heart, and waited for it to crackle...and waited...and got fed up and took the heat tool to it.

I found out (later) that the Kroma can take up to three days to crackle if left to itself.  If you accelerate the process you get some mighty big cracks (ravines is probably a better word).  And it continues to crackle, so that by the time it was finished, you could hardly see any pink bits at all.  In fact, you'll probably need to click on the picture to get a larger view of it before you can spot it.  Trust me, it is there!

Well, now I have a large sullen lump of mainly green and slightly pink-ish MDF and I'm asking myself what came over me as I don't much like green or pink, so what am I going to do with it?  When in doubt, add Distress!  I blended Peeled Paint DI over the edges and Worn Lipstick and Picked Raspberry over the surface to try and pink up the Kroma a bit, then I sealed it all and thought about what I was going to do next. 

In search of inspiration, I went rummaging through my leftover bits box (all right, it's not just one box.  I'm not saying how many there are.) and found a piece of Tim Holtz Tissue wrap, some paper I'd coloured with mica sprays in shades of blue and lilac, and an Eiffel Tower that I'd cut out with my Cameo for another project and never used.  I don't know why, but the ol' Tour d'Eiffel seemed to work well on the project.  The blue paper reminded me of butterfly wings.

The tissue wrap and the Eiffel Tower went onto the heart with the aid of some Bindex medium (from Pebeo).  I die-cut the lower part of the butterfly (it's an old Quick-Kutz double-cut die and is one of my all-time favourites)  from the paper and the upper part from black card.  I stamped the "Bright Elusive Butterfly" stamp (my own design, made with my Imagepac) onto ordinary tissue paper, tore it out, and stuck it onto the background with the Bindex.  Fast forward through the drying time (actually not too long), during which I layered up some Prima flowers which have been in my stash for a LONG time and stuck the two layers of the butterfly together.

Finally, it was time to stick the flowers and the butterfly onto the base and pretend that it was All Planned From the Beginning. 

I'm entering it into the following challenges -

Country View Crafts - Butterflies
Sunday Stampers - Paint

Thank you for visiting;  I hope you enjoyed!

Crafty Hugs,



Jenny Marples said...

Like you I would probably have taken a heat gun to the Kroma! I can see the crackles ok and you have definitely salvaged your heart to make it beautiful. I assume you are going to have another go? Hugs, Jenny x

Redanne said...

Well done for salvaging it because it is beautiful, the cracking looks wonderful (I saw Kay use it and decided I could never wait that long for it to dry) and now I want to have a go too........ Hugs, Anne x

Claudia said...


Hels Sheridan said...

Tis stunning, I tried out the Kroma and the whole lot fell off the card... didn't paint it first lol...took nearly 3 days to crackle and I gave up with it in the end... am back to my old Rock Candy lol Love what you did with it though, the effect is cool.. Thanks for joining in with the Sunday Stamper x

Unknown said...

A beautiful make. Love the design and the colours. Haven't had a go with my Kroma yet but dying to, to see how different it is. This is fab'. Thanks for sharing it with us at Country View Challenges. Chris xxx

Unknown said...

This is lovely, the colours are perfect.


Via Sunday Stamper

Rika said...

What a great background here!