Friday 10 May 2013

Butterfly cage

Have I mentioned how much I LOVE the Sizzix Alterations Cameo Frame die?  It's just about my favourite of the moment. And when I saw Shelly Hickox's Bird House, I knew I had to make my own version.

So here it is.

It's die-cut from chipboard, which I get from the boxes of envelopes we use in the office.   I painted it first with turquoise acrylic paint, gave a coat of crackle medium, and then painted white paint with a bit of yellow oxide added to warm it up a bit.  Once dry it got a touch of Black Soot to distress it a bit.  The mesh panels are made from some stuff to cover gutters.  (You can see a "how I made it" here)  The feet are wooden beads, coloured and inked to blend in.

The flower and leaves I bought ready made. ( I just don't have a die big enough to make one that would fit.) The rose is made of a thick, soft paper.  I sprayed it with inks and mica sprays to get a more vibrant colour.  Because the arrangement can be viewed from all sides, I wanted to keep everything neat.     I made a mount from a cut-down packing tube (a bit left over from the stand for the mini hat), covered with a scrap of patterned paper and hot-glued the flowers and foliage to the inner surface.

I added the butterfly - cut with my old faithful Quick-Kutz dies.  The lower part is paper I'd coloured with mica sprays, the upper part is shiny black card.

This is going to go to my mother-in-law for her birthday, with the addition of a suitable sentiment.   Before that, though, it's going into the Our Creative Corner blog challenge.

Thank you for stopping by;  I do hope you enjoyed your visit!

Crafty Hugs,

Keren

5 comments:

Jenny Marples said...

Oooh Keren, this looks fantastic. Love that cage with all its painted goodness and the butterfly sat on the rose. What a great version of Shelly's bird house. Thanks so much for joining us at Our Creative Corner, hugs Jenny x

Elizabeth said...

Hi Keren, this is absolutely stunning - love it :) Elizabeth xx

Redanne said...

Hi Keren, this is a fabulous and your 'how to' is excellent. Love how you used unusual elements and ended up with this gorgeous creation. Thanks so much for joining us at Our Creative Corner too! Hugs, Anne x

Nan G said...

Fabulous piece! Love the QK butterfly and the distressed look of your frame.

Laurart said...

This is wonderful! Thanks for sharing with us at Our Creative Corner - Love from Laura xxx