Thursday 12 September 2013

I can read you like a book...

Hi blog friends, thank you for visiting.  I've been a bit quiet lately as DT duties have taken up a bit of my time and also the real life has been busy...fun, but busy, what with the dancing exam looming and OH deciding that we should get back into Star Trekking and cosplay after 12 years absence and we were both a lot thinner then so none of the costumes will fit (actually scared to look as I think some of them will have rotted) and guess who makes the costumes?  (not sure Star Trekkin and cosplay count as real life but you get the idea.)

Anyway, the challenge at Anything But A Card is "Hit the Books".  I am a bookworm by nature.  I can't remember not loving reading and books and stories - my parents were both great readers, especially my mother.  I also love boxes - I can spend an afternoon just taking things out of boxes and putting them back in again...I suppose it is a bit sad....

So, this is my faux book box.  It's just about big enough to hold a pack of playing cards (and it came with an even smaller version as well!)  I used a technique learned from Andy Skinner's Book of Ruination online workshop (and if you want to know how it's done then you should sign up for the workshop!) I painted the sides in Aged Silver EcoGreen paint, put some silver gilding flakes on redline tape on the spine, added some chain and embellishments, with a couple of magnets to act as a closure, and a Tim Holtz keyhole for effect.

I lined inside the box with some marbled paper from Joanna Sheen, which I have had for years.  What will I keep in the box?  Well, Lady Ermintrude has her eye on it to store her keepsakes from the Major...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow gorgeous!!! Love the effect on your box, looks like metal. I'm actually taking a workshop by Andy Skinner in November when he's coming to the Netherlands woop woop! Can't wait! Hugs Frea