Tuesday 24 September 2013

Tic-Tac-POE!

I admit, I do have a "thing" for Edgar Allen Poe, the master of Mystery and Imagination.  So when I came across the Quoth the Raven blog, I did a happy dance and signed up immediately.  This month the Minions of the Master have challenged us to create an offering by playing tic-tac-poe - here's the grid;
I missed last month's challenge so I have to get back in the Master's good books this time!  I chose the middle column.  Now, regular readers of this blog (thank you! Thank you!) will know that I do love my Alterations dies and I love paint effects.  A while ago I was having a play with Ferro paints and embossing folders.  I made a very heavily textured Alterations cabinet card for a project and then didn't use it (and again, regular readers will know that this happens quite frequently!) .  But, being a crafter, I didn't throw it away.  No indeedy.  It lay at the bottom of one of my bits boxes (we all have bits boxes, don't we?) until I remembered it and decided that Its Time Had Come!!!

 I found the Buckmann portrait of Poe on the internet and set to work to make a digi -
which I tinted sepia and printed out.  I die-cut an oval out of the centre of the cabinet card and rubbed a touch of silver gilding wax over the top to highlight the texture.  A black feather or two (to suggest a quill pen) and rose out of the bits box (moulded out of paper clay when I was playing and coloured with black and red Dylusions sprays) and....

(As so much of this was made with things I'd forgotten about, I will enter it in the Our Creative Corner Challenge - Forgotten Things so that others may hear news of the Master)

Crafty hugs,

Keren

6 comments:

ike said...

FANTASTIC Keren - don't forget to ENTER it at QTR !!!! :-D I went to look and it's not there !!
Thank you for playing along with us. :-)

Hugz
IKE xx

p.s. you have to tell me how to make 'paper clay' !!?? :-D

Redanne said...

Wow Keren, firstly I am impressed that you made your own digi - and the background you created is terrific. Love the addition of the feather too, makes it all look dark and mysterious.... wonderful work. Thanks so much for joining in our Forgotten Things Challenge at Our Creative Corner. Hugs, Anne x

Claudia N. said...

Crafted Poe-try I'd say. ;)
Love the frame texture and colour and you have chosen a lovely portrait too!

Thank you so much for sharing this with us at OurCreativeCorner!

Claudia x

Words and Pictures said...

Fabulous that you made your own digi of the Master... and I love your textured frame - great make! Thanks for playing along with us at Our Creative Corner.
Alison x

I Don't Do Straight said...

Beautiful piece Keren, Love everything about it! Thanks for sharing with us at Quoth the Raven :)

blackdragon said...

Simply stunning... great texture...beautifully done.
Thank you so much for sharing with us at QTR.
BDx